What is an F-1 Student Visa?

International students need an F-1 student visa to study in the US. Generally, a non-US citizens must obtain a student visa to enter the US. If you want to come to the US to study, you must follow the steps below.

Applying for F1 Student Visa

Firstly, you need a Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status) to apply for the F-1 student visa. For the Form I-20, please apply online. You must be 18 or over to apply. If you are under 18, you must have completed high school.

Secondly, you need to pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee, which is $350 for the F-1 student visa. The SEVIS ID on your Form I-20 is required to pay the fee. Please don’t forget to print the receipt. In order to get your student visa, you must present a proof of your I-901 SEVIS Fee payment at your visa interview.

Thirdly, you need to complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160). The application fee for an F-1 student visa is $160. Fortunately, the application is translated into many languages. However, you must complete the form in English.

Lastly, you need to set up an interview for the F-1 visa. Therefore, you need to contact a U.S. embassy or a consulate in your country to schedule an appointment. Make sure that you bring all required documents for an interview. You need the Form I-20 and the acceptance letter from us. Additionally, you need to bring a valid passport, a DS-160 confirmation page, a I-901 SEVIS confirmation page, a photo, and a financial statement.

Be prepared for your F-1 visa interview. You need to be able to present that you are a genuine student and that you plan to return to your home country after your studies. Most importantly, you need to demonstrate that you can afford to pay for your studies and living expenses in the US.

For the details about the F-1 visa process, visit the US Department of the State. Furthermore, don’t forget to contact us with any questions.

Let’s Learn English!

One step at a time.